incubator-any23-user mailing list archives

From "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <chris.a.mattm...@jpl.nasa.gov>
Subject Re: Any23 incubator site and JIRA
Date Wed, 05 Oct 2011 19:46:09 GMT
Hey Guys,

On Oct 5, 2011, at 10:43 AM, Davide Palmisano wrote:

> Hi Lewis,
>
> any help is welcome! I think Chris is setting up all the environment - not sure if it's
completed.
> In any case we can split the tasks.

Yep check out the INFRA issue I just linked over.

> If you all agree I can start migrating opened issue to Jira from Google Code tracker.

+1, sounds great. We need INFRA to wrap up https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-3981
first, and then we can migrate.

> For those more experienced than me: what happens to the Google Code project now?

Usually different projects take different approaches. When Subversion migrated from
CollabNet to Apache, for a while they maintained both communities and web pages, with
pointers to the ASF being the gold source, and with clear pointers on the CollabNet site
saying it would be up for N months simply for maintenance purposes, and then there
would be a cut over. Other projects moved right away. At JPL, when we moved OODT
into the ASF, I had our SAs at JPL immediately redirect http://oodt.jpl.nasa.gov/ to
http://oodt.apache.org/. We had a couple annoyed users who let us know they missed
the old JPL site, but we told them we'd rather cut it off, and then hear from those that
were annoyed and use those as "TODOs" and a list of things that we needed to get
migrated.

My recommendation for Any23 is quick cutover, but I'm not super familiar with your guys
community. Maybe an approach like Subversion: clear links on the developers.any23.org
site to the new ASF Incubator site that we'll create, and then a message saying after
XXX date, we won't maintain the web site any more and that we'll cut over *only* to
Apache (maybe include some redirects too).

As for JIRA and for Wiki stuff, I'd just cut over immediately to those as soon as they
are available. No reason not to start using them now. If you INFRA peeps at Apache
to help migrate the issue and wiki content over, please comment on the issues
I created to help INFRA folks out in getting it over.

> Don't we need to somehow disseminate that now all the development is under Apache Incubation?
> Users should start to open issues on Jira rather than on the Google Code one.

+1, that's right.

> Any idea on how be more effective in reaching our existing community?

See above and comments/feedback are welcome.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Chris

> On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 6:37 PM, lewis john mcgibbney <lewis.mcgibbney@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Sorry I forgot the most important part of that last message...
>
> Can I help with this process?
>

> On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 6:36 PM, lewis john mcgibbney <lewis.mcgibbney@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As I've been trawling around the Any23 code, developer site etc recently I wondered when
(if) the transition to Apache infrastructure is getting underway? By this I mean an incubator
site, source code stored on SVN, JIRA for issue tracking?

> Thanks
>
> --
> Lewis
>

> --