From Andy Seaborne <a...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Upgrade to Tika 1.2 [WAS] Re: [ANNOUNCE] Welcome Peter Ansell as Any23 PPMC member and committer
Date Thu, 09 Aug 2012 20:02:58 GMT
On 09/08/12 11:57, Richard Cyganiak wrote:
> Peter,
>
> On 9 Aug 2012, at 00:19, Peter Ansell wrote:
>> the current Any23 parser completely implements the
>> N-Triples/N-Quads spec itself including non-standard features such
>> as unencoded UTF-8 support for both IRIs and literals, relative
>> URIs, and blank node identifiers that start with numbers (where the
>> spec says that blank node identifiers must start with a letter).
>
> FWIW, the RDF Working Group (of which I am a member) is currently
> overhauling the N-Triples specification, and is likely to define
> N-Quads as a W3C Recommendation in this same specification as well.
>
> It is quite likely (but not certain) that this specification will
> include UTF-8 support, and will allow blank node IDs starting with
> digits.
>
> Support for relative IRIs has been discussed as well, but seems
> unlikely.
>
> Best, Richard

Richard's assessment is correct - there is a strand that argues for not
doing N-Quads because TriG is enough but it's a minority.  The majority
just keep putting N-Quads on the agenda if it slips off.  As a dump
format, it is essential for many people.

I'm on the working group as a representative of the Apache Software
Foundation.  For this, and generally, if you have comments or
suggestions just get in touch - while there isn't a official ASF
position, I do feel duty bound to represent everyone.  If you think the
working group is making a big mistake, say so.  Implementers and users
experience counts for quite a lot.

This does not stop you sending comments yourself via the working group
comments list where the working group would respond.  It gets more
formal later in the process when the working group must respond.

	Andy