From Andy Seaborne <a...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Any23 0.7.0-incubating
Date Tue, 03 Jul 2012 13:23:49 GMT
On 03/07/12 12:08, Simone Tripodi wrote:
> Terrific feedbacks Andy, please read my inline replies!!!

I feel a bit like the external auditor to a bank .. except I don't get
paid as much!

>> == Site
>>
>> I see links directly into this from the web site but what about the source
>> release?
>
> it is the first package enlisted :) "Apache Any23 Sources"

Good point!  It's the usual classifier-sources-are-binaries confusion
causing me not to read properly.

But the name is "apache-any23-0.7.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT-src.tar.gz" and
the file in orgapacheany23-005/
"any23-sources-dist-0.7.0-incubating-src.tar.gz"

>> Also, this should be to mirror scripts, not direct links to  links
>> on to w.a.o/dist/ (although frankly the load put on by small projects is
>> probably trivial).
>>

> links can be easily adjusted - if you are already aware of the
> modifications needed, I can take care of updating the download page.

The magic is something like

http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/incuabtor/any23/FILE

See
http://www.apache.org/dev/release-download-pages.html#closer

>> ==== any23-sources-dist-0.7.0-incubating-src
>>
>> checking done:
>>
>> 1/ Downloaded any23-sources-dist-0.7.0-incubating-src
>>
>> 2/ Checked .asc
>>
>> 3/ Unpacked and poked around.
>>
>> This unpacks into a directory of a different name :
>> apache-any23-0.7.0-incubating/
>>
>> But this is also used when I unpack core.  Different would be better IMHO -
>> some files like LICENSE and NOTICE overwrite.
>>

> apologize, I maybe didn't understand: did you mean that the artifact
> name should reflect the extracted dir?

Yes.

>> Q2/ How much "based on" Sesame is the NQuads parser?
>>

> no idea, maybe Michele/Giovanni can provide more info...
>

>> And this could do with at least the one line ASF header
>>
>> apache-any23-0.7.0-incubating/core/src/test/resources/application/nquads/test1.nq
>>
>> and this is quite large:
>>
>> apache-any23-0.7.0-incubating/core/src/test/resources/application/nquads/test2.nq
>>
>> and would not be harmed by the full license header.
>>

> when putting the license header on that files, the mimetype detector
> stops working, that is why I excluded them from the RAT checking :(
>
> So, we have two options
>
>   * fix the mime detector before yet another RC
>
> or
>
>   * release anyway and be blocked by the IPMC vote

OK - if it breaks the test then no need to do anything.

There is an exception on licensing for when header breaks something.

>> 4/ mvn clean test
>> Works - quite a lot of output.
>>
>> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>> ==== any23-core-0.7.0-incubating-bin.zip
>>
>> Comments about DERI copyright apply.
>>
>> 1/
>>
>> [[ LICENSE.txt
>> The Apache Any23 distribution packages include a number of dependencies with
>> separate copyright notices and license terms. Your use of the source code
>> for the these dependencies is subject to the terms and
>> conditions of the following licenses.
>> ]]
>>
>> "source code" - we're shipping binaries.
>>
>> 2/
>>
>> NOTICE:
>>
>> As we're shipping binaries, any of the Apache items may need recursively
>> inclusions:
>>
>> example:
>> ----------
>> Apache Xerces Java
>> Copyright 1999-2011, 2012 The Apache Software Foundation
>>
>>     This product includes software developed at
>>     The Apache Software Foundation (http://www.apache.org/).
>>
>>     Portions of this software were originally based on the following:
>>     - software copyright (c) 1999, IBM Corporation., http://www.ibm.com.
>>     - software copyright (c) 1999, Sun Microsystems., http://www.sun.com.
>>     - voluntary contributions made by Paul Eng on behalf of the
>>       Apache Software Foundation that were originally developed at
>>       iClick, Inc., software copyright (c) 1999.
>> ----------
>
> this is already included in the core LICENSE/NOTICE, I need to double
> check anyway all the included dependencies...

I only see the Xerces statement, not the derived copyrights but maybe
I'm looking in the wrong place (tm).

>> == apache-any23-service-0.7.0-incubating-without-deps
>>
>> NOTICE/LICENSE files don't cover WAR file contents.  This may apply
>> elsewhere.
>>

> didn't understand, apologize - the `without-deps` module doesn't ship
> any 3rd party binary and it is just pure Any23 code... why they don't
> cover that module?

If I look in any23-service-0.7.0-incubating-without-deps.war I see

resources/simplePopup/jquery-1.4.2.js
resources/simplePopup/simplePopup.css
resources/simplePopup/simplePopup.js

	Andy