From Andy Seaborne <a...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Assisted SPARQL editor as apache project?
Date Sun, 01 Jul 2012 16:55:39 GMT
> Giovanni,
>
> IANAL but one comment on SparQLed - you should probably state what the
> license situation for any generated query in the same way that parser
> generators or compilers do. They usually say "the output is not
> licensed".  I think that unless you do this, the output of the editor is
> under the license of editor itself, which is currently AGPL3.
>
> Other than that, I agree with Simone.  If there is connection to Any23,
> then the project can accept a software grant; if there isn't a separate
> incubator proposal is cleaner.
>
> You've said you are going to license under the Apache license - you
> don't need to submit to Apache to do that.  You can use the license now
> - the details are given in the appendix to the ASL 2.0 license.
>
>      Andy

Giovanni,

I took a quick look at the github, and saw a JeniT tweet.

I see that "This software contains code from the Flint SPARQL Editor
project. " (IIRC that is an MIT license).

Other bits say: "This software is copyright Aduna" which is 3-cluase
BSD-type.

Also, "works supported by the European FP7 project LOD2 (257943)." --
presumably DERI have copyright but is it exclusive to DERI?

Whichever route is taken, this will need to be clarified and it's easier
sooner rather than later.

I don't immediately see any blockers.  The third party copyright
involved needs handling correctly but the two I see are "Category A",
and an Apache project can include source code with the necessary text in
NOTICE and LICENSE files.

	Andy