From Andy Seaborne <a...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Assisted SPARQL editor as apache project?
Date Sun, 01 Jul 2012 16:31:23 GMT
On 30/06/12 18:26, Giovanni Tummarello wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> my apologizes if this isnt maybe the right venue, but i think you guys
> are a great group to give me suggestions on what to do so here i ask:
>
> we have released today the first version of a Sindice Sparql query editor.
>
> SparQLed  is data and context driven  and we believe it could be a
> notable step forward in usability of SPARQL and RDF in general
>
> .. if .. we develop it further to "its full potential".
>
> As you know any23 is a donation of the Sindice project too and i have
> been overwhelmed with the results.
> I mean.. it makes so much sense to develop this collaboratively.
>
> so here i ask to kindly take a look at sparqled and.. we look forward
> on feedback on how to make it a great community just like any23.
>
> e.g. would you be interested in committing given an appropriate apache licence?
>
> thanks in advance for any feedback.
>
> Gio

Giovanni,

IANAL but one comment on SparQLed - you should probably state what the
license situation for any generated query in the same way that parser
generators or compilers do. They usually say "the output is not
licensed".  I think that unless you do this, the output of the editor is
under the license of editor itself, which is currently AGPL3.

Other than that, I agree with Simone.  If there is connection to Any23,
then the project can accept a software grant; if there isn't a separate
incubator proposal is cleaner.

You've said you are going to license under the Apache license - you
don't need to submit to Apache to do that.  You can use the license now
- the details are given in the appendix to the ASL 2.0 license.

	Andy