From Simone Tripodi <simonetrip...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Shift 0.7.0-incubating?
Date Fri, 30 Mar 2012 14:28:55 GMT
Hello!!!

> This isn't the only release - indeed, some would say that that being too
> perfect discourages others getting involved as the barrier to contribution
> is higher.

sure of course, that makes me reconsider a couple of points...

> So I suggest setting a timescale with hard date for the code freeze.

yup agreed, at least we won't postpone to the infinity :)

> If something gets done, great, if it doesn't, shrug.  There will be another
> release coming along.  First release may go through easily, it may cause
> comment - focus on process this time.  Once that is bedded down in the
> project, it's easy to release but first release is about the process.

I should have almost the whole weekend available, I'll take care about
any23 as much as I can :P

> I don't know how much you've discussed this already - I haven't been able to
> follow everything recently ...
>
> In Jena, we have got this down to three steps:
>
>    mvn release:clean release:prepare -Papache-release
>    mvn release:perform -Papache-release
>
> then run
>
>   <shell script that builds the dist/ area>
>
> mvn puts everything into staging (yukness => you get .asc.md5, .asc.sha1 --
> everyone finds this and eventually just lives with it as a fact of life).

yup this is what I actually do in commons, cocoon, ..., and already
prepared in any23 (apache-release profile will be enabled
automatically when releasing) but I really wanted to avoid a 2-step
process - anyway I already asked my mvn fellows and looks like there's
no escape to this "trap" :( I'll continue deploying source/binary
releas bundles manually.

Release bundles in Any23 are created via the assembly-plugin (ehm,
sources are still missing *blush*) I'll take care of reviewing during
the WE. Anyway, 2 (or more) pair of eyes more to review the done work
will be much more than appreciated and welcome :)

All the best and thanks a lot for your inputs, have a nice day!

-Simo

http://simonetripodi.livejournal.com/
http://twitter.com/simonetripodi
http://www.99soft.org/