From Lewis John Mcgibbney <lewis.mcgibb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: any23.org
Date Sun, 26 Feb 2012 13:23:41 GMT
Hope everyone is having a nice weekend.

On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 12:48 PM, Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>wrote:

> There's one more wrinkle to this. The any23 service is aware of its own
> URL, and the URL matters because the service is also intended as a quick
> and dirty way of invoking any23's format conversion functionality if you
> don't have it installed.
> Therefore I'd prefer to see the service configured so that it keeps
> announcing its base URL as any23.org rather than service.any23.apache.org.
>
> Is this ok with everyone?

With this said, I think we should strive to retain any23.org as the main
web service. Fundamentally this is an issue with Google code references,
and of course the Apache Trademark policy. We don't want to make things any
more difficult if we can help it. I think we should put the proposal
across, with the above information and see where we get. Shane already
stated that this is somewhat of a boundary case and that there is little
guidelines governing cases such as this, therefore keeping it simple will
ease the learning process of some of us hopefully. He also mentioned that
ti shoudl be an Infra@ and any23-dev decision... bascially whatever is
easier. Regardless of what level of traffic is coming through any23.org a
change would mean that whoever has/is/will/would use the service would
spend time looking for a new domain. I think we should retain any23.org if
possible.

> On the DNS side, I would need the IP address (not just a hostname) that
> any23.org should be pointed to. Unfortunately the domain registrar
> doesn't let me create CNAME records for second-level domains but only A
> records.

This is purely an Infra question and I will add this information to
INFRA-4439.

Before I do so, can we get a comprehensive list of stuff needs done.

1) Request Tomcat Server instance to run webservice on. Does this require
anything over and above vanilla installation?
2) Request IP address of web host from Infra@, which any23.org should point
to.
3) Create a history page branching off of
incubator.apache.org/any23describing any23's past, the initial
funding/governing bodies which
propelled the project forward to glory
4) We need to provide infra@ with a description of exactly what to do to
the the any23 webservice [0] up and running. This should be appended to
INFRA-4439.
anything else?

Thanks for your patience everyone, this is surely taking some time but will
be well worth it when we get it right.

Lewis

[0] https://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/any23/trunk/service/