incubator-any23-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Simone Tripodi <>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] 0.7.0 Release
Date Sat, 11 Feb 2012 21:23:34 GMT
Hi all guys,

thanks a lot for keeping it alive! Tomorrow I will check the binaries
deploy (tarballs , nexus artifacts, ...) and report the status here in
this thread, in order to help Lewis the checklist .

As maybe I already mentioned - not sure it was on the ML on in a pvt
chat - releasing the 0.7.0, for me, means having the old codebase with
some bugs fixed and migration to ASF adhering to our policies, I would
postpone design improvements, reorganizations, etc etc to future

Have a nice weekend, all the best!

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 9:44 PM, Andy Seaborne <> wrote:
> Good idea!
> Release in incubator isn't a once-only deal.  Any23 can be released several
> times so I'd say set the barrier to release to be critical process issues
> only.
> The first release isn't really about code anyway - it's about team process
> and adopting Apache release criterion.  The fact that some working code gets
> shipped is almost a side effect!
> The first release has a one-time tax to get things sorted out - that can
> start even if there are some specific items to be addressed.    Once one
> release is done, cranking out another is much lower cost.
> ANY23-37 (LGPL issue)  is a blocker for releasing basic-crawler because it
> is a legal matter but nothing else looks like a blocker from a strict point
> of view to me.
>        Andy
> On 11/02/12 17:05, Lewis John Mcgibbney wrote:
>> Hi Guys,
>> Having had a chat and a think off list, I think it's about time to get
>> this
>> conversation...
>> We've done a good job in the last months, it appears that most of the
>> 'problems' we were aware of e.g. licensing, code migration to ASF&
>> Incubator, website and documentation migration etc, are almost complete.
>> I'm of the opinion, that getting Any23 off to a 'good start' would really
>> be helped along by getting the scope of the release agreed, the issues
>> fixed or addressed that need to be, and getting an incubating release out
>> to the community within 1st Qtr 2012...
>> I'm in agreement with Andy that although there are issues on the Jira, we
>> need to be sensible about which ones are blockers and which ones are
>> merely
>> obstacles that can be addressed at some stage in the future, when everyone
>> is using (and hopefully enjoying Any23 0.7.0-incubating).
>> Therefore, I would like to initiate a checklist of sorts, about what we
>> need to do as a development community to get the ball rolling with this
>> one, who would possibly step in as release manager, what kind of resources
>> we need (if any), and finally when it is possible (and realistic) to
>> achieve this by!
>> Thanks for any input... Oh and have a great weekend.
>> Lewis

View raw message