From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: any23.org
Date Wed, 22 Feb 2012 14:35:35 GMT
(Please note the distribution list which mixes private and public lists)

Thanks for the discussion and the very interesting question!

Where what gets hosted (re: any23.org etc.) is a project and infra
decision.  In this case, I'd certainly hope we can host it at the ASF
(it sounds useful, has the project name, and seems to have support from
the project to do this); if we do, it should follow the normal
apache.org branding guidelines unless there is a specific exception.

We should not include prominent links or logos to other organizations on
the home pages of our projects; in this case, I'd think that would
include the any23.org home page as well if we host.

However we can have per-project thanks pages that provide useful links
to third parties who work in the technical spaces of our individual
projects. (Yes, I know we need better docs on best practices here).

Personally, I see this case as a little differently than most
per-project thanks pages: here, we have both (I think) 1) the
organizations who originally supported/helped to found the project
pre-Apache, and 2) some non-profit or governmental bodies, and not
commercial companies.

For this combination of 1) and 2), I'd be happy with listing these
organizations on a sub-page (i.e. not home page) of any23.org (or even
any23.apache.org or similar), including logos with nofollow links.
Given that these organizations (as I understand) helped to found the
project, and are non-profits also serving the public good, I'm happy in
general to give them a slightly more obvious recognition than a
commercial company.

Note that any such listings need to be factual, and should not in any
way imply approval/endorsement, nor should they imply control or
governance (in either direction).  But from the tone of the discussion
here, I don't think that will be an issue.

Make sense?

- Shane