From Andy Seaborne <a...@apache.org>
Subject Re: best eclispe setup?
Date Wed, 08 Feb 2012 11:57:23 GMT
On 08/02/12 09:27, Michele Mostarda wrote:
> Hi Andy,
>

> On 7 February 2012 18:29, Andy Seaborne<andy@apache.org>  wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> Just booting up ...
>>

> Good !
>

>> What's the best way to work with the codebase with Eclipse?
>>

> I have never configured Any23 with Eclipse, I use to work with IntelliJ
> (which is available now also with Community Edition).
> In general I let Maven configure the project for me ( mvn idea:idea ).
 >
> I would like to suggest you to do the same: mvn eclipse:eclipse [1] , you
> should obtain a self-consistent project ready to be opened with Eclipse.

I'd tried that :-) mvn eclipse:eclipse also doesn't work.  It's about
theory and practice.  In theory ... in practice, NPEs.  There is
probably a right combination of generate the Eclipse files and project
imports but I haven't found it yet.

My attempts with eclipse:eclipse resulted in projects with broken
references (possibly) -- the blocker is that the error messages aren't
very helpful.

Next step is to debug the generated files.

>> I tried pointing m2e at the top project ... and got some projects ... and
>> then "null" and some broken projects.
>>

>> In practice, is it better to pull out the modules separately? Eclipse-ify
>> a different way?
>>
>> This is partially because Jena is thinking about reorg of it's SVN so
>> experiences with setups is useful. I see in any23 that the top to the SVN
>> tree is also the parent.  Any pros and cons of that over a separate parent
>> and making the root pom just a bunch of module calls?
>

> Not sure to have understood the question.

I was tapping into your (plural) experiences with a single-trunk,
multimodule build.

You do it a little differently you other projects I skimmed (e.g. Sling)
where the parent is not the top POM.  The top POM is just a loop of
modules and the parent is one submodule.

	Andy