From Andy Seaborne <a...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Andy Seaborne VOTE'd as Any23 PPMC & Committer
Date Sat, 04 Feb 2012 12:42:22 GMT
On 03/02/12 22:19, lewis john mcgibbney wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> The Any23 team is very pleased to announce that Andy Seaborne has been
> VOTE'd in to join the Any23 PPMC and as a Committer!
>
> We are very happy to add to the Any23 community and look forward to
> working towards our first incubating release with Andy on board.
>
> Please feel free to say a bit about yourself Andy if you wish...

I'm still fairly new to Apache - I'm a committer on Apache podling Jena
and I'm also the ASF representative on the SPARQL and RDF working groups.

As I work for a small company (Epimorphics Ltd - we do linked data
consultancy, training and solutions) which is not a member of W3C, I am
on these working groups through Apache [*] so I'm there to represent us
all.  On SPARQL-WG, I'm one of the editors of the query spec.

What might be relevant here is that RDF-WG is looking at formalizing
named graphs.  Opinions range from just codify existing practice around
quads, to spec'ing a formal relationship between graph URI and the graph
triples.  This includes syntax - NQuads and TriG - as well as formally
doing Turtle and N-Triples.

It would be really good to hear from anyone with opinions on this.

SPARQL is now going through the finalization of specs - several
implementations already have released the updated query language and the
new update language, Sesame included.

In Jena, we've done the necessary steps as a podling so graduation is
the next step.  I've helped with the admin side in Jena. As we had an
existing codebase with contributions, we had software grants from HP and
others to sort out which took a while but that's all done now.

In terms of code, I've been involved with the SPARQL implementation but
also in some new fast parsers.  A bit too much looking into Java I/O and
finding out what's fast and what's slow.

> Oh and welcome on board :0)

Thanks - good to be here.

	Andy

[*] any Apache committers can do this if they don't work for a W3C
member.  In W3C-speak members are organsiations and companies, not
individuals as at Apache. ASF is a member of W3C.