incubator-amber-dev mailing list archives

From Simone Tripodi <simonetrip...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ASF license and copyrights
Date Thu, 19 Jan 2012 10:53:15 GMT
Just as a side note: the RAT wouldn't allow us making a release with
current headers, so I am really in trouble how to fix that legal
issue.
I need to speak with someone from legal@
-Simo

http://simonetripodi.livejournal.com/
http://twitter.com/simonetripodi
http://www.99soft.org/

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 9:56 AM, Pid <pid@pidster.com> wrote:
> On 11/01/2012 20:10, Simone Tripodi wrote:
>> Hi David,
>>
>> thanks for your feddbacks, that shows our lack of legal knowledge (ans
>> legal language as well :P).
>>
>> Anyway, what I was pointing, is that code inside Amber contains
>> copyrightsowned by an external entity, not the authors neither the
>> ASF.
>>
>> So, I'll take your suggestion to submit that case to our legal office,
>> in order to avoid any misunderstanding.
>
> Perhaps you could confirm whether it is normal to move the copyright to
> the NOTICE file?  (I had that impression, perhaps incorrectly).
>
> There is also the inconsistent use of the @author javadoc notation and
> SVN variables - what is the lists opinion about how this should be handled?

>> Have a nice day, all the best,
>> -Simo

>> http://twitter.com/simonetripodi
>> http://www.99soft.org/
>>

>> On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 5:51 PM, David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> I don't think this is accurate.

>>> This is definitely wrong.  The original author(s) retain copyright to their
work.  By contributing it to an apache project they _license_ it to apache.  Apache has
a copyright over the aggregated work.

>>> The cla indicates that you are licensing your contributions to apache, but you
retain copyright over your work.

>>> My impression is that the original contributors need to be the ones to remove
other license/copyright/notice legal information.  It would be best to ask on legal-discuss
before making any such changes.