From Billie Rinaldi <billie.rina...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Issue with Job Charts
Date Fri, 04 Oct 2013 19:01:42 GMT
On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 2:25 PM, Gopinath Rebala <
gopinath.rebala@onetouchsys.com> wrote:

> For Reduces, the LOCALITY is set to 50060, sorry didn't look closely
> enough as there were lot more maps than reduces. Will wait for the patch.

Oh good, that's a relief.  My next suggestion would have been a several
step process to narrow down where the problem was occurring.  While that's
no longer necessary in this case, it's probably a good idea to document
this process anyway:

- check the ambari server log for errors (shows errors in retrieving data
from the ambari db)
- turn on the javascript debugging console in your browser and check for
errors (shows when the data provided by the web service isn't in the format
expected by the UI)
- check hadoop logs for errors (job tracker log shows errors in putting
data into the ambari db)
- determine which web service is providing the data for the particular UI
element that is acting up, retrieve the data from the web service manually
and verify it is what you expected (shows problems in translating data
retrieved from the db into the format expected by the UI)
- verify data in db is as expected

The data verification steps for the web service and db are more difficult,
because they require experience with what the data is supposed to look
like.  Looking in these places and knowing that 50060 is not a valid value
for locality is how I tracked down this particular bug.

Billie