From ADAMOS LOIZOU <ada...@tid.es>
Subject Re: Reconfiguring services with client only components
Date Mon, 07 Oct 2013 07:45:04 GMT
Hi Sumit,

Thanks for replying.

Here's the info you asked for:

  *   the config type/tag is persisted

Yes, checking through the API I can see it registered:

{
  "href" : "http://localhost:8080/api/v1/clusters/mycluster/configurations?type=your_custom_service_type&tag=version1381128066056",
  "items" : [
    {
      "href" : "http://localhost:8080/api/v1/clusters/mycluster/configurations?type=your_custom_service_type&tag=version1381128066056",
      "tag" : "version1381128066056",
      "type" : "your_custom_service_type",
      "Config" : {
        "cluster_name" : "mycluster"
      },
      "properties" : { … }
    }
  ]
}

  *   the tag is selected at cluster level

Yes again, checking through the API:
{
  "href" : "http://localhost:8080/api/v1/clusters/mycluster",
  "Clusters" : {
    "cluster_id" : 2,
    "cluster_name" : "mycluster",
    "desired_configs" : {
      "core-site" : {
        "user" : "_db",
        "tag" : "version1379424366421"
      },
      "your_custom_service_type" : {
        "user" : "admin",
        "tag" : "version1381128066056"
      },
      "global" : {
        "user" : "_db",
        "tag" : "version1379424366421"
      },
      "hdfs-site" : {
        "user" : "_db",
        "tag" : "version1379424366421"
      }
    }
  }
}

  *   there exists any entry for that type/tag in table "serviceconfigmapping"

No entry there.

The other possibility is that Starting the service does not create any command to re-install
the client.  To confirm this, can you analyze/share the ambari-server and agent logs when
you issue the "Start" command.

I believe that is the case. Please find the relevant logs attached.
The ambari-server registers the STARTED request but neither of the ambari-agents seem to receive
anything (2-node cluster).

I've done some debugging on the Ambari side and so far it seems that the behaviour change
comes from AmbariManagementControllerImpl.addClientSchForReinstall(…)
The latest version of the method's signature has had the changedServices parameter removed
and only relies on the changedScHosts parameter to proceed with installing client components.
In this scenario, it is precisely changedServices that registers a change while changedScHosts
remains empty, probably explaining why the client components are never re-installed.

If that is the case, is there a valid reason for having removed the changedServices from the
method and if so how should we now go about reconfiguring those client components?

Thanks again for your help.

Kind Regards,
Adamos

On 4 Oct 2013, at 17:00, Sumit Mohanty <smohanty@hortonworks.com<mailto:smohanty@hortonworks.com>>