From Sumit Mohanty <smoha...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Ambari server claiming no heartbeats from agents
Date Sat, 07 Sep 2013 13:38:04 GMT

way for ambari agents to override the host supplied hostname as well.
However, the prior solution is preferred.

-Sumit
From:  Christian Smith <christian@greenbutton.com>
Date:  Saturday, September 7, 2013 2:56 AM
To:  "ambari-user@incubator.apache.org" <ambari-user@incubator.apache.org>
Subject:  Ambari server claiming no heartbeats from agents

Hi,

I've got a new cluster configured via the API with HDFS and MR.  The
configuration went fine and the HDFS service says its running.  However, on
the hosts tab, all hosts are marked with a yellow circle and state that no
heartbeat has been received for over 3 minutes.

I've checked the agent and server logs and heartbeats are being sent and
received by the expected parties.  So my question is what could be going
wrong?  And how does the server associate a received heartbeat with a host
in the cluster config?  Does the server to a reserve DNS lookup of the
heartbeats source IP?  Or does the heartbeat contain the hostname of the
agent?

It seems like something around the heartbeat hostname is not aligned with
what the server is expecting...

Any ideas how to debug further?

Cheers,
Christian