From Elazar Leibovich <elaz...@gmail.com>
Subject Fwd: Support OS without packaging system
Date Sun, 07 Jul 2013 00:11:12 GMT
Forwarding to ambari-user, since I suspect ambari-dev is primarily used for
JIRA.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Elazar Leibovich <elazarl@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 4:11 PM
Subject: Support OS without packaging system
To: ambari-dev@incubator.apache.org

Hi,
I'm currently consider deploying Ambari on home brew hardened Operating
Systems which does not feature package managements. You cannot use anything
like RPM, deb packages etc.

The way I was thinking of handling it is:

1. compile all the required package to a certain shared directory:

//fileserver/opt/{hbase,hadoop,oozie}

2. Define fictive package manager for Ambari that would simply copy the
files to a node instead of triggering actual installtion script.

Ambari will then act as usual and will try to install those packages using
my fictive package manager.

If the base OS installation has all the dependencies, Ambari should still
work.

1. Can that work? I'm don't know too much about Ambari's architecture,
besides a few slides decks I found.
2. Is that interesting as a JIRA? I think that this flexibility (work on
any linux system at all, if you can ./configure && make hadoop on it -
ambari will take care if that) is beneficial for more people than just
myself. If it is, I'd like to coordinate my efforts with the project, and
to submit the code eventually.
Note that this is a change with relatively low risk, since I'm just adding
a support for different system, and not changing the usual flow at all.
3. If everything will work correctly, there's at least one big organization
that would be using Ambari, I think it'll be good for the project.

Thanks,
Elazar Leibovich