From Siddharth Wagle <swa...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Support OS without packaging system
Date Sun, 07 Jul 2013 17:40:24 GMT
Hi Elazar,

Thank you for looking into Ambari. Following is the link to the Ambari wiki
with information regarding Ambari architecture that you might find useful,

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AMBARI/Ambari+Design

Amabri agents that heartebat with the ambari server are written in python
and delegate the responsibility of installing packages to puppet scripts.
The agent architecture utilizes puppet in a sandboxed fashion (limited
context and responsibility), in order to enable the package management to
be mutable.
On a side not, it is actually possible to write a custom Provider
implementation for puppet and hook it up with puppet Resource provider, I
have not looked into the details of doing this just know that it is
supported.

Best Regards,
Sid