From ADAMOS LOIZOU <ada...@tid.es>
Subject Puppet version and upgrade potential
Date Tue, 04 Jun 2013 07:55:33 GMT
Hello,

I was wondering whether there is anything in the Ambari roadmap about upgrading the Puppet
version that the Ambari Agent uses from 2.7 to 3.x.

Puppet 3.x offers more built-in control structures and abstractions as well as better syntax
enforcement.
We've found that with 2.7 we've had to define functions in Ruby even for trivial concepts
that are no longer necessary thanks to puppet 3.x built-in functionality.

Is there any interest in making this upgrade? I believe that 3.x should allow for reducing
the Ambari puppet code-base thus making its maintenance easier and development easier/faster.

Just as a note, I mentioned that 3.x is more rigid/clearer syntax-wise and that presents an
issue with the use of the dash '-'. That means that some-identifier is no longer a valid identifier
and needs to be replaced with some_identifier. Given the naming policy followed in Ambari,
that might be a bit of a hustle to go through but at least it would ensure meeting the puppet
standard and make it hopefully future-proof.

Thank you.

Kind Regards,
Adamos
[twitter18]<https://twitter.com/adamosloizou>  [linkedin-logo18] <http://www.linkedin.com/pub/adamos-loizou/24/7a4/b29>

[Descripción: Descripción: piefirmatid]

Adamos Loizou
Centro TI+D Granada
Edificio Fórum, 4ª planta
C/José Luis Pérez Pujadas s/n
18006 Granada - España
Tel:    +34 958 53 7863
Móvil: +34 672 03 4703
adamos@tid.es<mailto:adamos@tid.es>

Este mensaje se dirige exclusivamente a su destinatario. Puede consultar nuestra política
de envío y recepción de correo electrónico en el enlace situado más abajo.
This message is intended exclusively for its addressee. We only send and receive email on
the basis of the terms set out at: