From Artem Ervits <are9...@nyp.org>
Subject Hive errors after install
Date Thu, 30 May 2013 17:18:16 GMT
Hello all,

I'm trying to fix errors on my freshly installed Ambari 1.2.2 cluster, specifically with Hive/HCat
service. I have an alert

Hive Metastore status check
CRIT for 8 days
CRITICAL: Error accessing hive-metaserver status [WARNING: org.apache.hadoop.metrics.jvm.EventCounter
is deprecated. Please use org.apache.hadoop.log.metrics.EventCounter in all the log4j.properties
files.

I searched for some resolutions and at this point I'm stuck. I noticed that I don't have a
hive database installed on the mysql server. I also get the following when I execute start
hive command manually as per http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP1/HDP-1.2.0/bk_reference/content/reference_chap3_1.html

su -l hive -c "nohup hive --service metastore > $HIVE_LOG_DIR/hive.out 2> $HIVE_LOG_DIR/hive.log
  &"
-bash: /hive.out: Permission denied

I looked in my logs directory and there is no hive folder and I also try to cd into $HIVE_LOG_DIR
and do not see it either. I found a JIRA https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMBARI-2044
that I think is related but I don't think it's exactly my issue. Web/HCat service is in fact
working though. Unlike on my test cluster where Hive/HCat is working and WebHCat is not. That
will be my next endeavor.

Any help would be appreciated.