From Mahadev Konar <maha...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Can Ambari Help with an Accumulo Install?
Date Fri, 31 May 2013 19:33:23 GMT
Robin,
 0.9 doesn't sandbox puppet and is a very old architecture. Its recommended that you move
to a newer version 1.2.+ releases.

thanks
mahadev

On May 31, 2013, at 12:29 PM, Robin Carnow <robin@goldbot.com> wrote:

> That sounds very promising.  Is the sandboxing of puppet in Ambari also found in version
0.9?  I seem to remember that I had to carefully configure the Ambari master to allow for
it to be configured by my puppet master.

> ~Robin
>

> On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 11:53 AM, Mahadev Konar <mahadev@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> Hi Robin,
>  You are right that Ambari does not support Accumulo as of now and will be supporting
it very soon. You can write your own puppet setup for Accumulo and use Ambari. Ambari does
not interfere with any existing puppet setup. The use of puppet is sandboxed in Ambari.

> thanks
> mahadev
>

> On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 8:47 AM, Robin Carnow <robin@goldbot.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have searched the ambari mailing list and it seems that Accumulo may eventually be
supported by Ambari, but at this point it is not.

> I want to know if there is some way to have Ambari help with an Accumulo install or would
it be better to deploy Accumulo using puppet scripts I write myself?

> The problem with writing my own Accumulo puppet configuration is that I will probably
have to also configure the hadoop cluster since, to my knowledge, I am not able to mix my
own puppet setup and Ambari.

> I have never use the Ambari API but it seems that I would be able to implement a new
Service Resource for Accumulo.  Would this be a large undertaking (when compared to configuring
a hadoop cluster + accumulo using my own puppet scripts)?