From Robin Carnow <ro...@goldbot.com>
Subject Re: Using version 0.9 and 1.2 in Production Data Centers with Firewalls
Date Wed, 03 Apr 2013 14:10:11 GMT
Mahadev, thanks again you for the help.
I have not looked at the Ambari code yet, but it would be nice to somehow
get a report from nodes which includes what packages are installed on
each.  Then, in my case, I would be able to aggregate these node package
reports to see what is running on my cluster.  I don't know how much of
this is an edge case, but it seems like a useful feature.

~Robin

On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 7:49 PM, Mahadev Konar <mahadev@hortonworks.com>wrote:

> Hi Robin,
>  Currently the packages needed from epel are not documented. There has
> been a lot of use cases where folks want to just download the needed
> packages rather that all of epel but thats work in progress and not tested
> as of now. The easiest way to do it is to use a VM and install the required
> services you need. By doing a rpm -ql before and after the install you will
> know which packages are getting used. Hope that helps.
>
> thanks
> mahadev
>

> On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 3:58 PM, Robin Carnow <robin@goldbot.com> wrote:
>
>> Mahadev & Yusaku,
>>
>> Thanks you for your help, that is exactly what I needed for item #1.
>>
>> Does anyone know a simple way to find out what EPEL packages are
>> necessary if I know what my Hadoop deployment will consist of?
>>
>> I'm thinking of using Ambari to configuring nodes off site and somehow
>> recording what packages are needed to get the cluster up; then making those
>> packages available within our data center.  Is there an easy way you know
>> of to do this?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your help,
>>
>> ~Robin
>>

>> On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 12:53 PM, Yusaku Sako <yusaku@hortonworks.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Also, here's the local repo set up documentation for Ambari 1.2.1:
>>> http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP1/HDP-1.2.1/bk_reference/content/reference_chap4.html
>>>
>>> We plan to add similar documentation in Ambari project website in the
>>> near future.
>>>
>>> Yusaku

are provided which describe how to get this working which use