From Yusaku Sako <yus...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Passwordless login from master as well
Date Fri, 22 Mar 2013 00:23:10 GMT
Hi Gunnar,

Just to clarify, with the manual agent install option, passwordless SSH for
root is absolutely not needed, because the Ambari server does not SSH into
the slave hosts at all.

Here's the flow:

1. The user installs the Ambari server and starts it up.
2. The user install the Ambari agent manually on each of the slave hosts
and configures it to point to the Ambari server.  Note that the user can
manually log in to each server to do this; passwordless SSH need not be set
up, though it may be (for the user's convenience).
3. The user starts ambari-agent.  The agents communicate with the server
via HTTPS, and registers themselves with the server.
4. The user launches Ambari Web to install the cluster.  When choosing the
target hosts, the user selects the "Manual registration" option.  With this
option, the server just verifies that the hosts the user specified to be
part of the cluster via the web UI are already registered.  There's no SSH
happening.
5. All subsequent communication is done via between the agent and the
server via HTTPS (the agent always initiates the communication).

Yusaku