From Hitesh Shah <hit...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Compatible Versions of Ganglia and Nagios
Date Thu, 08 Nov 2012 20:19:17 GMT
Hi Rob,

For nagios, it works with Nagios-3.2.3 ( the puppet modules have been hardcoded to it as some
configs generated were only tested with that particular version), You are welcome to try changing
the version and providing a patch if you can get it to work with a newer version.

For ganglia, we discovered some bugs in the version we tried with ( 3.2.0 ) that caused problems
both in the hadoop layer as well as the ganglia layer. The HDP repo that is documented provides
a patched version of libganglia, ganglia-[gmond|gmetad|...]-3.2.0-99 with fixes that Ambari
is compatible with. I believe the patches were finally committed to ganglia and should be
available in the latest release - however, similar to nagios, the new versions have not been
tested against.

The same versions hold for both 0.9 and trunk.

FWIW, Ambari will install and configure both ganglia and nagios for you so you will likely
not need to do any pre-install/setup for the monitoring layer.

-- Hitesh

On Nov 8, 2012, at 11:51 AM, Robin Carnow wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm new to Ambari and I was wondering what versions of Ganglia and Nagios are compatible
with the 0.9 version and the trunk version.  So what versions should I be running on the nodes?