From Hitesh Shah <hit...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Puppet kick failed after migrating virtual appliance
Date Wed, 03 Oct 2012 21:25:45 GMT
Ambari uses the standard bigtop rpm structure.

If you are looking for the jars, you can do the following to get the exact locations

rpm -qa | grep hadoop
rpm -ql hadoop

For starting HDFS manually, you could take a look at either the apache hadoop docs or the
link below from Hortonworks:

http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r1.0.3/cluster_setup.html

http://docs.hortonworks.com/CURRENT/index.htm#Deploying_Hortonworks_Data_Platform/Installing_Manually/rpminstall/rpm_validate/rpm_validate.htm
( you would skip the format step obviously :) )

Note: once you start doing manual operations, the UI will be in an inconsistent with respect
to reality and there may be unforseen problems if you have to fall back to using the UI.

-- Hitesh

On Oct 3, 2012, at 2:15 PM, Artem Ervits wrote:

> Is there a way to start hdfs manually, instead of using the Web UI? Also, where does
Ambari install the Hadoop binaries?

that the master cannot communicate with the agent.

> -- Hitesh
>
> On Oct 3, 2012, at 9:07 AM, Artem Ervits wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I installed a fully functional Ambari server and client with HDFS, M/R, Ganglia and
Nagios in two virtual machines. When I exported the two appliances and imported them on another
virtual host to take advantage of more ram, I witnessed that Ganglia and Nagios services start
but HDFS wouldn't start. I get a message that

>> {
>>    "2": {
>>        "nodeReport": [],
>>        "nodeLogs": []
>>    },
>>    "3": {
>>        "nodeReport": {
>>            "PUPPET_KICK_FAILED": [
>>                "amaster.local"
>>            ],
>>            "PUPPET_OPERATION_FAILED": [],
>>            "PUPPET_OPERATION_TIMEDOUT": [],
>>            "PUPPET_OPERATION_SUCCEEDED": []
>>        },
>>        "nodeLogs": []
>>    },
>>    "7": {
>>        "nodeReport": [],
>>        "nodeLogs": []
>>    },
>>    "9": {
>>        "nodeReport": [],
>>        "nodeLogs": []
>>    }
>> }
>>

>> Amaster.local has the following services: Secondary NameNode, JobTracker, Ambari
Server, HDFS Client, MapReduce Client.
>> Aclient01.local has the following services: NameNode, Ganglia Collector, Nagios Server
>>
>> Is there a way to start hdfs manually, instead of using the Web UI? Also, where does
Ambari install the Hadoop binaries?

>> Thanks.
>>
>> Artem Ervits
>> Data Analyst
>> New York Presbyterian Hospital

>> This electronic message is intended to be for the use only of the named recipient,
and may contain information that is confidential or privileged.  If you are not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the
contents of this message is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error
or are not the named recipient, please notify us immediately by contacting the sender at the
electronic mail address noted above, and delete and destroy all copies of this message.  Thank
you.