From Jon Maron <jma...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Obtaining hadoop lib dir location
Date Wed, 04 Sep 2013 19:51:01 GMT
I'm asking this in the context of the savanna openstack project.  The HDP plugin supports the
installation of the HDP stack via Ambari.  However, for a specific feature we need to place
an additional jar in the lib directory of the installation on the various cluster VMs post
installation before we transition the cluster services to START.

I suppose the approach you suggest may work, but it may be daunting in the case of a horizontal
service (a service potentially leveraged by multiple other services) or the case where services
may be added to the cluster post installation.  I'm not even certain if all service allow
the manipulation of their class path in the manner you indicate?

Is it safe to assume that, for a given RPM, the hadoop lib directory will be in specific location
(e.g. in my case, an installation of HDP 1.3 has a lib location of /usr/lib/hadoop/lib)?

-- Jon

On Sep 4, 2013, at 1:33 PM, Hitesh Shah <hitesh@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi Jon
>
> You might be approaching this in the wrong way. Why not install the jar wherever you
need to and then update the appropriate hadoop configs to ensure that the jar is pulled into
the classpath of the appropriate component?

> -- Hitesh
>
> On Sep 4, 2013, at 8:21 AM, Jon Maron wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a need to programmatically add a jar to the hadoop lib directory prior to
the start of the hadoop services on the cluster hosts (In other words, prior to invoking the
REST URI to transition the cluster services to START).  I am trying to figure out whether
there is a REST query I can execute to obtain a property value that would tell me where that
lib directory is located or would allow me to infer the location.  Any thoughts?

>> -- Jon
>>

>> --
>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE