From Mahadev Konar <maha...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Enhancing Ambari to support other file systems in addition to HDFS
Date Wed, 10 Apr 2013 06:43:43 GMT
Jeff,
 Great to see this effort going. As you stated, the first part would
be to start with bare bones level (no HDFS). Waiting to see more on
this.

thanks
mahadev

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 4:23 PM, Jeff Vance <jvance@redhat.com> wrote:
> A team at Red Hat is looking to expand the filesystem choices supported in Ambari to
include other Hadoop Compatible File Systems (HCFS), including Red Hat's filesystem based
on GlusterFS.

> We'd like to start a discussion on how to architect this capability in a way that fits
in with existing Ambari service configurations, is expandable, supports differences among
the various Hadoop compatible file systems, and is compatible with existing Ambari deployments.

> There could be different levels of Hadoop Compatible File System "support". For example,
a bare-bones level could be that Ambari does not require HDFS to be running and does not interfere
with the HCFS service. The next level could be that Ambari provides some monitoring and statistics
for the HCFS. A higher level could be that Ambari can deploy the HCFS, etc.