From Andres Danter <adan...@gmail.com>
Subject Google Summer of Code Proposal
Date Thu, 25 Apr 2013 17:44:02 GMT
Hello Ambari developers,

Unfortunately, this introduction is long overdue.  My name is Andres
Danter.  I'm a student looking to participate in the Google Summer of Code
event this year.  I latched on an idea proposed by Apache Accumulo
developers that involves the integration of Ambari with Accumulo.  The idea
is detailed in the proposal draft found at this link:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxBY29P7A1RgVnZscGcycExDbEU/edit?usp=sharing

The proposal there is just a draft, but the design, deliverables and
schedule sections are complete.

Billie Rinaldi will be my mentor for this, and he suggested that I run the
proposal by this group also.   The proposal is targeted at improving the
management of Accumulo clusters, but I would like to bolster Ambari,
whenever possible.  One feature in particular that I would like to
introduce is a command line interface (CLI) utility.  The idea, and this
needs to be made clearer in the proposal, is to leverage the existing
Ambari APIs, and create a syntax and command structure that is easy to use
and flexible.

Since Accumulo is built on top of Hadoop and requires Zookeeper, I want to,
at the very least, test any Ambari enhancements and new features with those
components.  I want to keep the interfaces general and extendable, and I do
not want to make enhancements to Ambari that are Accumulo specific.

Any feedback and questions on this proposal are welcome.

Thank you.

Andres