From Sandeep Baldawa <sandeepbald...@gmail.com>
Subject Ambari Development Environment Issues/Workarounds
Date Sun, 07 Apr 2013 07:27:06 GMT
Hi,

Have my dev environment set and my ambari server up and running.

I did the following to setup my Dev Environment from a fresh Rhel 6 64 bit.
Am marking the issues *I faced issues highlighted in red and the
workarounds I used highlighted in green(am not sure if these are correct,
but had the ambari-server up and running), wanted clarification on the same
from experts*.

Environment:- Install Rhel 64 bit(2.6.32)
*
*
*Install Pre-requisite Software*
- Check if Python is installed :- "python -v"
- Install maven:- yum install mvn
- Install OpenJDK for development:-
https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/en-US/JBoss_Enterprise_SOA_Platform/4.3/html/Getting_Started_Guide/appe-install_jdk_rhel.html
- sh setuptools-0.6c11-py2.6.eggyum install rpm-build
- yum install gcc-c++
- Install NodeJs and nm :- Download latest tar from nodejs.org and add in
~/.bashrc
- npm install @brunch
- yum install git

- In /home/ambari-server do a "git clone git://git.apache.org/ambari.git"
Issue:- mvn -X -B -e clean install package rpm:rpm -DskipTests
-Dpython.ver="python
>= 2.6" => Throws a bunch of errors. Maybe tests are not building correctly.
Workaround:-Run mvn -X -B -e clean install package rpm:rpm  => Works fine

Issue:- postgresql is not being installed or maybe not being installed
correctly, "service postgresql status" returns unrecognised service
Workaround:- Manually install postgresql using the following commands
yum list post*
yum install postgresql84.x86_64
yum install postgresql84-server.x86_64
service postgresql initdb
service postgresql start

Issue:- Running  "ambari-server setup" and then then "ambari-server start"
gives error i.e.(the one I posted in a previous email to the dev group)
that ambari-server user does not exist.
Workaround:- Create new user "ambari-server"

- ambari-server setup
- ambari-server start
- tail -f /var/log/ambari-server/ambari-server.log
- Check the below link if it works correctly
 http://localhost.localdomain:8080/<http://localhost.localdomain:8080/#/installer/step1>

Thanks,
Sandeep