From Aaron Tokhy <ato...@gcefederal.com>
Subject Supported OS types
Date Mon, 11 Jun 2012 13:59:23 GMT
Hello,

I recently built Ambari (specifically the ambari-186 branch) to evaluate its current state.
 So far I have a web server running Ambari and I am at the step where I am adding hosts to
the Ambari server.  I have deployed a public key on all the target instances (all of which
are RHEL 6.2 LXC containers with their own IP address in an internal network) and I'm trying
to get it to recognize them.

During "Node Discovery", it was able to perform the following:

1) "Finding reachable nodes: All 5 nodes succeeded"
2) "Obtaining information about reachable nodes: All 5 nodes succeeded"

However it rejects my instances as having an unsupported OS.  The host running Ambari (localhost)
is CentOS 6.2 and the nodes that are a part of a Hadoop/HBase/ZooKeeper cluster are all RHEL
6.2 instances.

I checked the sqlite3 database /var/db/hmc/data/data.db and found this:

sqlite> .dump Hosts
PRAGMA foreign_keys=OFF;
BEGIN TRANSACTION;
CREATE TABLE "Hosts" (
  cluster_name TEXT, -- foreign-key cluster_name
  host_name TEXT,  -- host name
  ip TEXT,  -- ip
  total_mem   INTEGER,  -- total mem on host - in bytes
  cpu_count   INTEGER,  -- cpu count - no. of cores
  os_arch TEXT, -- os arch - i386, x86_64 etc
  os_type TEXT, -- os type - searchable - defined set of supported OS types - RHEL5, RHEL6,
CENTOS5, SLES, etc.
  os BLOB, -- os info - type, version etc - uname -a?
  disks_info BLOB, -- disk capacity json object, keys are mount-points
  discovery_status TEXT, -- discovery state - if we could connect properly
  bad_health_reason TEXT, -- failure reason if any
  rack_info TEXT, -- rack information for host
  attributes BLOB, -- attributes blob to store additional attributes that may be required
for the host
                   -- attributes stored currently:
                      -- "publicFQDN" => public hostname in case of AWS ( same as hostname
in other environments )
                      -- "privateFQDN" => private hostname in case of AWS ( same as hostname
in other environments )
  PRIMARY KEY(host_name),
  FOREIGN KEY (cluster_name) REFERENCES Clusters(cluster_name),
  UNIQUE(ip)
);
INSERT INTO "Hosts" VALUES('gce','slave-3','127.0.0.1',3766,2,'x86_64','redhatenterpriselinuxserver6','Red
Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.2 (Santiago);Linux rhel-4 2.6.32-220.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP
Wed Nov 9 08:03:13 EST 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux','[]','FAILED','Unsupported OS',NULL,'{"publicFQDN":"rhel-4","privateFQDN":"rhel-4"}');
CREATE INDEX host_mem_index ON "Hosts" ( total_mem );
COMMIT;

How much work could it possibly be to manually (fully) add RHEL 6 support if I add RHEL 6
and CentOS 6 to the supported OS types here?  I added CentOS and RHEL 6 to the list of supported
OS types and now it is looking to add the EPEL repo for CentOS 5.

/usr/share/hmc/php/frontend/addNodes/verifyAndUpdateNodesInfo.php

Is Ambari currently only supporting the CentOS/RHEL 5/SuSE 10 series of Linux distributions?

Thanks!

Aaron Tokhy | Big Data Engineer | GCE

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachment(s) is Confidential, Privileged,
Protected from any disclosure, and proprietary to Global Computer Enterprises, Inc.  The person
addressed in the email is the sole authorized recipient.  If you are not the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that any review, use, disclosure, retransmission, dissemination, distribution,
copying, or any other actions related to this information is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this communication in error, please inform the sender and delete or destroy any copy
of this message.