From Eric Yang <eric...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Web UI frameworks
Date Thu, 17 Nov 2011 21:47:58 GMT
Google Web Toolkit is somewhat cumbersome to use for real UI work.  It
is designed for building UI for Java developer which make abstraction
of HTML.  The framework lower the requirement to build basic UI, but
it can be difficult to build complex UI.  GWT is a fast developing
project. So, there are a lot of versions floating around. Many
functions, interfaces and events get deprecated and keeping up with
their pace is not too much fun when you have other work to do.  If you
have tasted the power of JavaScript and know how to properly utilize
it to your advantage, then you will feel crippled with an unexpressive
language like java.

Apache MyFaces is alternative implementation of JSF.  It is reasonable
for delivering server side rendering pages with JSP like taglibs.
There are certain tasks that can be rendered more efficiently on
server side.  This works for people that can parse between lines in
the template files.  Structs is a out-dated version of MyFaces.  I
would not recommend to use either framework because parse different
language between lines has proven tedious.

Apache Click would be a good alternative framework for generating
server side rendering pages.  HTML template can be fully decoupled
with Java logic.  This provide ability to create efficient rendering
pages on the server side.  In branch 0.0, jQuery and HTML5 were used
to create a fully functional UI for Hadoop cluster deployment.  This
is fine for creating basic pages, but for optimizing complex table
rendering, it would be good to use Apache Click and jQuery combination
to deliver more polished UI.

regards,
Eric