From "Marcus Holthaus (IMSEC)" <Marcus.Holth...@imsec.ch>
Subject Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for November 2010 (alois-dev@incubator.apache.org)
Date Fri, 05 Nov 2010 08:16:40 GMT
Hi all

I would propose ALOIS (all upper case),
Originally this stood for "Advanced Logging and Intrusion Detection
System" (my creation). However, ALOIS has evolved more into a Log Data
Collection and Log Data Mining Tool and into a Security Incident Event
Management System (SIEMS) than an into an IDS. Doing the IDS part was
always intended to be done by analyzing log data, and since ALOIS's
inception, the IDS label has moved to other types of systems.
So I propose ALOIS should stand for "Advanced Log Data Insight System"
from now on.

(In German context, "Alois" is an old-fashioned male first name, and as
people bearing this name are mostly of older age now, using this name
was an intended to link it to some kind of "wisdom" or "insight").

-- Marcus