From Tim Van Steenburgh <tvansteenbu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Guide for new contributors
Date Fri, 03 Jan 2014 20:52:19 GMT
On Friday, January 3, 2014 at 1:36 PM, Dave Brondsema wrote:
> On 1/3/14 1:08 PM, Tim Van Steenburgh wrote:
> > We've published a Getting Started guide for new Allura contributors at http://allura.sourceforge.net/docs/contributing.html.
To accompany the guide, we've created a new 'bitesize' ticket label to identify open tickets
that may be suitable for new contributors. Bitesize tickets can be found at https://sourceforge.net/p/allura/tickets/search/?q=labels%3Abitesize
(link is also included in the docs).

> > If you're interested in contributing to Allura, don't be intimidated - jump in and
we'll help you!

> Yay :) We've been sorely missing that type of guide.
>
> I've had one person suggest to me that docs about "Using Allura" would be
> helpful. End-user docs about setting up a project, using the tools, etc. We
> don't have any of that in our docs. The SourceForge support docs at
> https://sourceforge.net/p/forge/documentation/Docs%20Home/ do cover those
> topics, but also cover other SourceForge-specific things.
>
> What does everyone thing about adding a "Using Allura" section to our docs,
> initially containing specific targeted links to SourceForge pages, with
> appropriate notes/disclaimer that there are some SourceForge-specific items
> within those pages?

I agree that we should have docs on "Using Allura." Starting with links to SF docs is a perfectly
acceptable beginning imho - certainly better than nothing. If we (or anyone) has the bandwidth
to eventually add screencasts and such, even better.

Here's an existing ticket that lists some stuff that would be needed in such documentation:
https://sourceforge.net/p/allura/tickets/5943/

Other doc-related tickets here: https://sourceforge.net/p/allura/tickets/search/?q=labels%3Adocs+%26%26+status%3Aopen