From Cory Johns <john...@gmail.com>
Subject Trac Ticket importer & html2text
Date Wed, 20 Nov 2013 15:58:55 GMT
The recent build failure has highlighted an issue with the Trac ticket
importer.  Namely, it relies on code in
Allura/allura/scripts/trac_export.py which uses html2text, which is a GPL
module and thus not a required library for Allura.  However, even though
the Trac ticket importer is optional and can be disabled, I believe it is
enabled and exposed to the user by default.

We've dealt with this in the other importers by moving the importers that
depend on html2text to a separate, externally packaged library, e.g.,
TracWikiImporter (http://sf.net/p/tracwikiimporter/) and
GoogleCodeWikiImporter (http://sf.net/p/googlecodewikiimporter/).

Personally, I'm not really a fan of having the importers packaged
separately, since we had the discussion that it's better to keep tools in
the core distribution if possible to help them stay maintained, but if
that's the only option from a licensing standpoint, then there's nothing we
can do.  However, since we have the ability to selectively disable
importers, I wonder if we've considered the option of having the importers
live in the core distribution, but disable themselves by default if their
requirements aren't met?  Otherwise, we need to refactor the Trac ticket
importer code out to a separate package.  Either way, something will have
to be done before our next release.