From Wayne Witzel III <wwitz...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: a UI for filtering tickets
Date Wed, 06 Nov 2013 03:48:02 GMT
I guess my argument would be the average joe doesn’t really care or want to use the full
power of solr. And providing a more intuitive UX that is familiar from every other site that
does filtering hits a broader audience and I think has more overall value as a feature in
Allura than a form view of solr options.

--
Wayne Witzel III (@wwitzel3)
wayne@pieceofpy.com

On Tuesday, November 05, 2013 at 15:30 , Dave Brondsema wrote:

> The nerd in me likes that (tangent: I started writing one in Java a decade ago
> http://beej.sourceforge.net/examples.html) But I'm not sure it's easy enough
> for an average joe. And that's the goal of this UI - advanced users can still
> use the solr text search. Also -- to be clear, the mock I provided was my first
> pass and I don't like it any more, I prefer a column-header based dialog
> filtering each column.
>
> aside - agreed. We might even be able to do this with the column filtering.
> It'd help teach people how the solr query is constructed so they can tweak it.
>
> On 11/5/13 11:05 AM, Chris Tsai wrote:
> > I’d rather see something like Trac’s custom query builder, eg. http://trac.edgewall.org/query

> > Maybe it doesn’t need to be quite as robust to start, but a few things I like
that Trac does that’s different from how I interpret the mock are (1) it only shows elements
that are actually part of the filter, and (2) clear delineation between ANDs and ORs.

> > (aside) A "nice to have” for down the road would be to build a visible text representation
of the search as you add filters with the UI.

> > --
> > Chris Tsai
> > SourceForge.net (http://SourceForge.net) Support
> > sfnet_ops@slashdotmedia.com (mailto:sfnet_ops@slashdotmedia.com)
> >
> > ctsai-sf on irc.freenode.net (http://irc.freenode.net)
> >

> > On Tuesday, November 5, 2013 at 10:52 AM, Wayne Witzel III wrote:
> >
> > > The rest of my email got cut off and I don’t feel like typing it again ..
but +1 to approach with more UI work.

> > > --
> > > Wayne Witzel III (@wwitzel3)
> > > wayne@pieceofpy.com (mailto:wayne@pieceofpy.com)
> > > http://pieceofpy.com

filtering options, it also appears you have to re-submit the search after you add filtering
options.

I think creating a more minimal UI and incorporating it in to / just below above the ticket
listing header (like the Advanced filtering for browsing sf.net (http://sf.net)) is a better
approach. It would be intuitive to the user and could auto-populate with only values that
exist to be filtered. Avoiding typos in a label filter for example.

Also