From Nicholas Bollweg <nick.boll...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Funding Opportunity, custom Allura(s) for Cyber\Physical design
Date Fri, 11 Oct 2013 19:52:41 GMT
On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 12:11 PM, Dave Brondsema <dave@brondsema.net> wrote:

> Very exciting to see this finally out there.  We definitely should see if
> we can bring some of this back into Allura proper.
>
> I'd be happy to have extensions in the main Allura codebase if they are in
> pretty good shape, so that it's easier to keep them maintained and in
> working order.  Beyond that, I've been listing external extensions at
> https://forge-allura.apache.org/p/allura/wiki/Extensions/ but over time
> I'm sure there's more we can do to support that.

I do recall that thread from a while back.

The issue I see with some of the Tools in these two source dumps is that
they are pretty niche: bill of materials, CAD viewing, etc. And most bring
along some heavy requirement (XMPP, SPARQL, AWS/S3-like etc.) Others, like
either of the hook implementations, would be a good fit for inclusion in
master.

I think these contributions are somewhat outside of the normal use case of
Allura: it's more like developing towards something that would support a
hackerspace than a distributed software development organization.

> Can you elaborate on the proposal you mentioned?  Is it a grant  proposal?

Well, I'm kind of scratching my head as well, but figured I'd throw it out
there.

It is a proposal to win a contract, not a grant: presumably one of the
organizations involved would front the proposal, and we would get creative
on how it plays out re: the community: bounties? subcontracts? Anyhow,
there would be reporting requirements, deliverables, etc. and at the

> With the goal being to get funding to do the work necessary to work
> through the technical & legal work to merge these results into Apache
> Allura?

That's pretty much the idea. Here's the angle for the Apache Allura
community:

So DARPA invested some tens of millions in an MIT-licensed toolchain (AVM)
for doing complex engineering efforts. Their goal is now to seek...

"injection of AVM tool suite capabilities into existing PLM/CAE/MBE
> products that are already available on the commercial market".

DARPA doesn't sell software, but wants people to use the technology they
bought, so it is paying a number of organizations to put this open source
software into their products and distribute it, which strictly interpreted,
sounds like selling it.

As the upstream of the collaboration portion of the suite, Apache Allura
now provides an opportunity for some of these capabilities to reach a huge
number of users, but would require expanding the box as to what Allura
does: definitely more thingaverse than sourceforge, even though software is
still important to these efforts.