From Nicholas Bollweg <nick.boll...@gmail.com>
Subject Funding Opportunity, custom Allura(s) for Cyber\Physical design
Date Thu, 10 Oct 2013 15:18:30 GMT
Hi folks:
I've been kind of quiet on the line for a good long time, but had the
opportunity to do some work back in 2011-12 on a custom Allura, which has
now been released, along with a raft of other interesting things:
http://cps-vo.org/group/avm

Here are the files themselves most related to Allura (under "Georgia Tech"
and "Vanderbilt University"):
http://cps-vo.org/node/5837/browser

Between the both of these, there is some interesting stuff:
- 3D CAD viewer... the multiuser part has a non-free dependency
- twitter-like thing
- VCS hooks (two different implementations!)
- theming stuff (some of which was already extracted out and is in Apache
Allura)
- project metadata search
- various model integrations

One of the suites received funding beyond the date of what is posted there,
so there may be updates to come. The license situation is tricky, as
nominally everything is MITish, but I doubt/know the code is well audited,
but I happen to know some of authors, and I am sure we can figure something
out :)

I would love to see as much as is relevant make it back into the upstream.

According to the timestamps, this happened a while back, but I've been off
doing other things, and it was only recently brought to my attention...
basically I was a bit gunshy of just pushing my code out until the sponsor
distributed it... government contracting around free software is funny.

Additionally, there is a current effort to transition these technologies
into "commercial tools," which does not preclude open source projects under
any definition I've ever heard, as long as somebody is getting paid:
https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=09ca3c2daa2d854bbb6de7171cdc7f2e&tab=core&_cview=1

I would be interested in whether the community (either as we are, or as a
more formal partnership between companies and individuals that contribute)
would be interested in putting together a proposal (9-14pg, deadline: 4pm
Thursday, 31 Oct) to transition any of the technology created by these
previous efforts into Apache Allura proper.

I hope something of interest can come of this!

Cheers,
Nick