From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject a UI for filtering tickets
Date Thu, 31 Oct 2013 19:32:28 GMT
We'd like to develop a UI for filtering tickets as a simple alternative to using
solr syntax.  This should be helpful for those that don't know solr syntax, and
easier than learning it, for the simple cases.

I did a quick in-browser mock of drop-downs for various fields, but it doesn't
look very clean, and it takes up a lot of room: http://screencast.com/t/uUL2VeLybg

Side note: existing elements in that area could be improved:
 * move "showing X of Y" to after the tickets, alongside pagination, like we do
on other places
 * move "show deleted tickets" to after search help button
 * make search text box even a little bigger

Since we probably only would show filter choices for the fields that have their
column shown, I was thinking perhaps we could put the filtering as part of the
column header.  This could save space by moving each drop-down filter into a
per-column dialog that is not shown by default.  It's also contextually relevant
to associate the fields with the columns.  I think this would end up very
similar to the auto-filter feature on most spreadsheets.

That would require more UI work for the dialog and its contents, filter icon in
header, etc.  Clicking on the column header currently sorts the column, so we'd
have to see if that still made sense or not.  I imagine the filters would append
new clauses to the solr query, but it might get real weird if we don't put in
the extra work to parse a given solr query to know what filtering is active.
https://github.com/evolvingweb/ajax-solr/ might be worth exploring.  Also
separating the user-entered query from the filter query would help some but
still would require some parsing.  Solr seems to support this concept of 2 query
params, but I haven't used it myself
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/CommonQueryParameters#fq

Thoughts?

--