From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: usernames on forge-allura.a.o - for ASF committers and for everyone else
Date Tue, 01 Oct 2013 15:47:09 GMT
Either "johndoe_" for non-ASF-committer accounts that anyone could register, or
"asf-brondsem" for all ASF committers (backed by LDAP).  Or something along
those lines, to keep the Apache LDAP users distinct from the accounts registered
locally on forge-allura.apache.org (particularly to avoid username conflicts)

On 10/1/13 11:28 AM, Daniel Hinojosa wrote:
> I'm concerned about "username fiddling." Would you be able to provide
> real examples of what this looks like?
>
> I care about this as we all tend to pick a persona across platforms;
> if this change forces a change in persona (username), that could have
> a negative impact on user perception.
>
> Thank you,
>
> d.
>
> --
> Daniel Hinojosa
> Community Manager, Slashdot Media
> p: 415.890.3608
> e: d@slashdotmedia.com
> facebook: http://facebook.com/d.Slashdotmedia
> skype: hinojosad
>

> On Oct 1, 2013, at 8:17 AM, Dave Brondsema <dave@brondsema.net> wrote:
>
>> Any thoughts on this?  It seems complex to me, but I most of the complexity is
>> in the dual-login setup, which I think really is important.  The username
>> fiddling probably won't be too much additional work.
>>
>> On 9/19/13 5:38 PM, Dave Brondsema wrote:
>>> Before we move tickets over, I think we should have a good login system that'll
>>> work long-term.
>>>
>>> I would like to support ASF committers logging in via ASF LDAP (infrastructure
>>> can set up an auth proxy in front of Allura).  If Allura gains popularity among
>>> other projects in Apache (and I hope it does), we could have a lot of ASF users
>>> on it, and managing that through the official LDAP system will help a lot.
>>>
>>> I think we'll also want anyone to be able to create an account so that they can
>>> report a bug, make a comment, etc.
>>>
>>> Setting up an auth provider which can handle both would be ideal.  A problem,
>>> though is username conflicts.  Even if we prevent users from registering with
>>> usernames that match existing ASF accounts, we could have a future problem if
>>> new ASF committer chooses a username that a "regular" person has on Allura already.
>>>
>>> A possible solution is to "namespace" the usernames so that these two are
>>> separate and can't conflict.  An underscore "_" is not allowed in ASF usernames,
>>> so it could be automatically appended to all "regular" Allura usernames (on
>>> forge-allura.a.o instance only of course).  Or we could put something on all
ASF