From Cory Johns <john...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: RFC: LICENSE and NOTICE cleanups (ASF release)
Date Tue, 24 Sep 2013 19:32:48 GMT
I'm not arguing that he didn't suggest that we *should* have only a single
LICENSE and NOTICE file, but that is different than *must*.  I was also
reading that in context of the previous statement that the top-level
LICENSE and NOTICE files were incorrect and, subsequently, that the extra
files were confusing.  I took that to mean that if the top-level files were
correct, the additional files would be less of an issue.  Particularly when
taken together with Marvin's message in the [DICSUSS] thread [1] explicitly
discussing the sub-package LICENSE and NOTICE files; his advice was they
needed to be reduced to be minimally complete for their respective
sub-package, just like the top-level LICENSE and NOTICE file must be
minimally complete for the whole release.

That said, I do think that it might be better to remove the extra LICENSE
and NOTICE files, particularly since we won't be distributing the
individual PyPI packages through ASF channels so it is quite possible that
the legal requirements do not apply (and the file headers should be
sufficient for PyPI).

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201309.mbox/%3CCAAS6=7hTA13GHbBwwy3-X+Bz5i38X4UoM+cYsv7Q13x+azp7mw@mail.gmail.com%3E