From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject licensing of test html files
Date Fri, 23 Aug 2013 16:05:46 GMT
rat (release audit tool) is currently reporting several files without licenses:

Allura/allura/public/nf/images/beta_sf.psd
CHANGES
ForgeImporters/forgeimporters/tests/data/google/empty-issue.html
ForgeImporters/forgeimporters/tests/data/google/test-issue.html

The first two I believe can just be added to rat-excludes.txt

The html files are not in the 1.0.0 release, so shouldn't affect that vote, but
I wanted to discuss what we should do with them.  They were saved from Google
Code web pages, as test data.  I don't see any copyright or license statements
on Google Code pages, and
http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#faq-exceptions says:

"A file without any degree of creativity in either its literal elements or its
structure is not protected by copyright law; therefore, such a file does not
require a license header. If in doubt about the extent of the file's creativity,
add the license header to the file."

These files don't seem to have any creativity since they are machine-generated.
 The unique content in them (ticket name, body text, etc) was created by us.
Does this sound fine or do we need further expert analysis (e.g. open a LEGAL
jira ticket)?

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.brondsema.net : personal