From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject ok to remove Application.tool_version ?
Date Tue, 20 Aug 2013 22:24:34 GMT

I'm doing some cleanup in the ForgeTracker models to make them not use some
global context vars like c.app  Models shouldn't depend on the current context.
 Down this rabbit trail, I get to:

class Artifact(MappedClass):
    tool_version = FieldProperty(
        { str: str },
        if_missing=lambda:{c.app.config.tool_name:c.app.__version__})

And this throws an error if tool_version isn't specified, and c.app isn't set.
I want to remove tool_version altogether, since it doesn't seem to be used
anywhere.   I have a vague memory of ancient architecture plans to support tools
with explicit version numbers and upgrade paths and downgrade paths, and I
assume this artifact-level field is a result of that.  We don't have that
functionality now, and I don't see a strong use-case to re-create it.

Any reason not to remove Application.tool_version?

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.brondsema.net : personal