From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Allura ideas from SourceForge
Date Mon, 19 Aug 2013 16:59:44 GMT
We at SourceForge have some ideas of where we would like to see Allura headed,
and what we'd like to develop.  Please see the PDF slides at
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ed4ughnobwukaq1/Aug%202013%20-%20Allura%20-%20SourceForge.pdf
 I also have plain text below.  Any thoughts on these ideas?  Other features
folks would like to develop in Allura?

Introduction and Apache Graduation
====
Allura is an open source implementation of a software "forge"
* A web site that,
  * manages source code repositories, bug reports,
  * discussions, mailing lists, wiki pages,
  * blogs and more for any number of individual projects.
* Written in Python
* Extensible
  * via the notion of "Tools" based on Allura,
  * Themes, Authentication, and various pluggable APIs

SourceForge.net is running an instance of Allura. Currently hosted at
https://sourceforge.net/p/allura/
Allura is an Apache Incubator project and our next step is to complete
graduation. Checkout more at http://incubator.apache.org/projects/allura.html

SourceForge Instance of Allura
====
All our teams have actively used the toolset for more than 2 years.
[screenshot]

Theme 1: Import/Sync Capabilities
====
Allura enables importing code, downloads, and more from other platforms,
allowing for easy imports and exports. SourceForge is contributing to build this
in the next quarter.
* Google
  * Code, Wiki, Tickets
* GitHub
  * Code, Wiki, Tickets
* Trac
* Bugzilla
* JIRA

Theme 2: User Profiles and Skills
====
Focus on a robust social layer. Discovering other interesting projects and
people is key functionality.
* Social Auth and Auth
  * Facebook
  * Twitter
  * LinkedIn
  * Google+

* Developer Skills
  * Languages
  * Tech Stack

* User and Project Discovery

Theme 3: Coding and Management Toolset
====
At the heart is always a best in class toolset for fork, merge, view, edit,
manage code and more.
* Coding toolset: fork/merge/view/edit/manage/etc.
* Improve comment/discussion thread usability for all tools (pagination, UI)
* Security improvements
* SPF/DKIM checks, option to disallow private projects
* SPAM capabilities
* Performance - continue to move code browsing to "indexless" hitting SCM
directly instead of indexing data into mongo.
* More site admin functionality (e.g. user/project lookup, disable user)

Join the Allura Community
====
At the heart of any successful open source project is the community.
Reach out to us if you are interested in contributing to Allura. We would love
to have you on-board!
Thank you

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net