From Tim Van Steenburgh <tvansteenbu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tutorials on Allura plugin development
Date Wed, 26 Jun 2013 14:13:07 GMT

is available here: https://sourceforge.net/u/vansteenburgh/allura-plugin-development/2013/06/part-1-getting-started/

> Very nice.
Thanks!
> Might be nice to add the RSS feed to http://planet.apache.org/ to
> get some exposure into the Apache community. Right sidebar has a section for
> how to add a feed. And particularly if we do publish it there, it'd be best to
> have the first reference to allura in the doc be "Apache Allura" and mention
> incubation. http://incubator.apache.org/guides/branding.html#Naming

Good idea, will do.

> Minor things:
>
> On
> https://sourceforge.net/u/vansteenburgh/allura-plugin-development/2013/06/part-1-getting-started/#creating-the-plugin-application
> line 15, isn't that the old-style way to call a parent. Would using super() be
> better?

Religious debate. :) In single inheritance situations they are equivalent, except that the
base class isn't named explicitly. Which could be a benefit I guess - if the base class every
changes, you don't have to change it in two places. Yeah, I'll probably change it.

> `pgrep ... | xargs kill` could be nicer as `pkill ...`
Ah, cool. I didn't even know about `pkill`.
> Also in that bit of
> commands, is there an automatic "venv activate" happening? The text says its
> important, but there's no command for it.

Yeah, in the vagrant setup, the venv is activated automatically when you ssh to the guest.

> Embedding some of the screenshots right within the post might be nice. Maybe
> not the first one though, since it's big. (Too bad we don't have a macro for
> thumbnail + lightbox overlay)

Yep, considered embedding but opted against because I thought it'd look cluttered. May play
around with it some more on the next one.

I'll make a 'someday' ticket for the macro you suggested. :)