From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: How do we handle an Incubator release
Date Thu, 18 Apr 2013 16:21:30 GMT
I submit that the very best way to learn about the right way to do a release is to do a release,
and then see what the Incubator mailing list tells us we did wrong.

I nominate Peter as release manager. :-)

--Rich

On Apr 18, 2013, at 11:54 AM, Peter Hartmann wrote:

> As part of our graduation process from Incubator, we (Allura contributors) must demonstrate
our ability to make an official release, in line with ASF guidelines. It seems that throughout
last year all technical and legal obstacles have been removed and we're ready to start working
on getting a release out. As per https://sourceforge.net/p/allura/tickets/3905/ we also want
to make a release on PyPI and somehow synchronizing these two releases would be a sane thing
to do.

> The most basic way we may do Incubator release is simply get a repository tarball on
a public Apache server. This has the merits of being very straightforward and it seems to
be most popular option among other projects.

> I've proposed on IRC that we may also release every module that forms Allura codebase
as a separate tarball. The rationale behind this is that in process of making a release on
PyPI, each module will have to be packaged separately anyways. PyPI/pip/setuptools also can
work with tarballs and by keeping a single set of distributed archives we can avoid possible
confusion on that part. Same tarballs would be uploaded to PyPI and Apache servers.

http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html

> Release process can of course be modified later on, and the way we make releases is important
enough to be discussed by whole community here. Anyone's input is welcome, so are any new
proposals on the matter.

--
Rich Bowen
rbowen@rcbowen.com