From Alvaro del Castillo <...@bitergia.com>
Subject Re: contributing the bitergia metrics tool (was Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Dec 2012 ([ppmc]))
Date Tue, 16 Apr 2013 10:41:41 GMT
Dear all,

El lun, 15-04-2013 a las 12:21 -0400, Rich Bowen escribió:

> On Jan 8, 2013, at 10:53 PM, Alvaro del Castillo wrote:
>
> > Thanks Rich. This is just a proposal and I hope it will be obsoleted
> > in
> > the future with new developments. But I will have this in mind next
> > time.
> >
> > In any case, the screenshots are now also in a blog post about the
> > integration:
> > http://blog.bitergia.com/2013/01/02/project-analytics-integrated-into-allura/
> >

> Alvaro, we haven't heard from you in a few months and I was wondering
> what the status is of your project.

Yes, you are right. 4 months. I am sorry about that.

We have been working so hard in developing the product and using it to
create reports and dashboards that I have not found time to reintegrate
all in Allura an continue the development.

>  Are there any blockers on the Allura side that are preventing you
> from moving forward with integrating your changes into the Allura
> code?

Time to review the current status.

1. I have a branch in which I have developed the Integration of
VizgrimoireJS/VizJS 0.2. I need to update all to the current Allura code
and test that all is working.

2. The hard step is how to integrate MetricsGrimoire (MG, Python toola)
(tools which generates the data needed for VizJS to viz). MG should be
installed in Allura node (the easy configuration) and should be started
periodically to gather the data from new projects or update the old
ones.

How to program the execution of MG for Allura projects? This is what we
need to define. It could be directly from "crond" but maybe, we ca have
a tighter integration so Allura control the execution. I have research a
bit Allura tasks, but I am not sure it this is the way to go.

> I'm pretty sure that I speak for many of the Allura user community
> when I say that we would *love * to see more, and better, metrics
> around everything that hosted projects do on the Allura platform.

Rich, we have continued the development of VizJS and now is more
complete. Let's try to finalize how to integrate everything and continue
to move on to build better dashboards and have richer metrics with more
valuable info!

My plan is to finish 1 and propose something for 2, but any clues about
the best integration strategy will be really appreciated.

Cheers

--
|\_____/| Alvaro del Castillo
 [o] [o]  acs@bitergia.com - CTO, Software Engineer