From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Dec 2012 ([ppmc])
Date Thu, 13 Dec 2012 21:45:29 GMT

On Dec 12, 2012, at 1:57 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:

>> But a close-to-zero month
>> for those parameters says a lot about how inactive the community is, if
>> you're interested in that.
>
> Well that's just it, we (the ASF) are not interested in that kind of
> statistic.

If I might clarify something that Ross is saying here ... (and taking the remark completely
out of context to make the point)

Alvaro's and Jesus's contribution to this project is all about statistics - statistics that
are very valuable in measuring the activity and health of a project. We, the Allura project,
are VERY interested in this kind of statistic. And as a community manager (and thus end-user
of this particular feature), I'm very interested in having these kinds of statistics available
about the projects I work with - not so that I can say that *this* project is a 8 and therefore
worth my time, and *that* one is a 3 and not worth my time, but rather as a high-level dashboard
to watch the project's health over time.

When Ross says that we (the ASF) are not interested in that kind of statistic, he is *not*
saying that your contributions aren't welcome or wanted on the Allura project, but rather
that the ASF governance (the board) is interested in other kinds of things in reports to the
board. The board is interested in the things specifically listed here: http://apache.org/foundation/board/reporting.
 One of those items is the "overall activity in the project over the past quarter", which
can be interpreted a number of ways, but probably should be as brief as possible to receive
the message. If a project has no releases for a quarter, or no commits for a quarter, the
board isn't terribly concerned - there's many reasons that might happen. If a project has
no commits for two years, we're going to be concerned.

I don't know if you took Ross's statement that way, but it occurred to me while I was reading
it, that in the context of a board report, he's completely correct, but if you read that in
the context of your contributions to the project, it might result in the wrong conclusions.
After all, we added you to the PMC as a result of those contributions.

--
Rich Bowen
rbowen@rcbowen.com