From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Dec 2012 ([ppmc])
Date Wed, 12 Dec 2012 17:29:56 GMT
Sent from my tablet
On Dec 12, 2012 5:21 PM, "Jesus M. Gonzalez-Barahona" <jgb@bitergia.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, 2012-12-12 at 10:48 -0500, Rich Bowen wrote:
> > On Dec 10, 2012, at 1:37 AM, Alvaro del Castillo wrote:
> >
> > > We have updated our Allura report:
> > >
> > > http://bitergia.com/public/previews/allura/2012_12_allura/
> > >
> > > In Bitergia we are reviewing all the data to be sure are ok.
> > >
> > > Maybe we can use some of this report info for the PMC/Board report.
> >
> > Thanks. I've updated the URL in the report, but if you'd like to add
specifics to the report, please let me know what you'd like to add.

> I don't know if it would make sense to either include some numbers (such
> as number of commits, committers, etc for the period) or charts (those
> could be screenshots of the charts in the report, linking to the report,
> or we could build some JPEG figures if that suits better. It all depends
> on the level of detail you consider reasonable.

Generally speaking statistics are not important at all. They tell us
nothing about the health of a community, whcih is all a board report should
be concerned with. A single prolific contributor, or one seeking
tommanipulate the stats, can make the stats look good, but that doesn't
mean the community is healthy. That being said some numbers are useful
indicators.

When reviewing reports I'm interested in when the last release was made,
that patch queues are not growing, that new committers are being brought in
etc. Notice all these are about community health (i.e. new users get early
access, contributors are getting attention, the community is
creating/maintaining diversity), rather than about technical engagements
(number of posts to mailing lists, number of commits etc.). If you can
include infomlike this it would be good.

All that being said I think it would be good to include any stats you think
might be useful and ask the IPMC and board for feedback on their utility in
board reports.

Ross