From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: User stats and organizations
Date Thu, 06 Dec 2012 16:14:22 GMT
On 11/29/12 1:06 PM, Simone Gatti wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> During the last weeks, while discussing our work on including new details
> in users' profiles on the forge, I and Stefano Invernizzi also continued
> working on the other features we introduced in one of our first messages on
> the mailing list, back in July.
> Now we have completed the implementation of these tools, and we would like
> to get feedbacks from you in order to check if it's possible to include
> them on the Allura platform.
>
> The additional features we implemented consist of two main parts. First of
> all, we included the concept of organization, namely companies, foundations
> or other non-profit organizations and research and education institutions.
> Each organization is now allowed to create a profile, including some
> details about it, like a description, its working fields, its size, etc...
> . Moreover, users can be linked to the organizations they belong to, and
> projects can be linked to the organizations developing them. For both these
> kinds of relationships, we implemented a two-way mechanism: the user
> requests to be registered as a member of the organization and the
> organization has to confirm it, or vice-versa. Similarly, an organization
> sends a request to be listed as the developer of a project, and the
> administrator of the project has to accept it, or vice-versa. When a user
> leaves an organization, he can set this on the forge, and the enrollment in
> this organization will be shown as a past membership. The same applies for
> project collaborations: an organization can freely set a collaboration
> within a project as completed, because the organization doesn't want to
> continue working on the project, and it will be shown as a past involvement.
> We believe this features could be very useful on a forge which is used by
> more than one organization, because it allows to have a better awareness of
> the community, knowing how users working on a project are organized in the
> real life. It can also increase trust for those projects developed by
> well-known organizations.

An additional use for this could be to make an organization around a topic, like
"android games" for example.  We could then use it as a way to loosely group
together projects into an android game community.

> The second feature we developed is related to users, and consits of a set
> of metrics gathered from their activity. These metrics include the number
> of created or modified artifacts (also separated for different kinds of
> artifacts), the number of assigned tickets, solved tickets and "revoked"
> tickets, namely tickets which were assigned to a user but whose owner was
> later changed. Moreover, the number of commits is collected, together with
> the total number of added or modified lines of code by the user. For a
> certain user, all these metrics are shown on a page on the form, as a total
> value since the user's registration, as well as an average per-month value.
> The metrics are also calculated considering the last 30 days only, in order
> to allow to check whether the user is still active on the forge or not, and
> if he is increasing his efforts on the forge or not.
> Moreover, it is also possible to see these values for a single category
> only, namely considering all the data regarding projects tagged as
> belonging to that category. A graph showing the number of joined projects
> by the user for each category is also shown, to highlight the kind of
> applications the user is focused on.
> Finally, the previously listed statistics are also calculated for
> organizations, by considering the activity of the users enrolled in the
> organization itself. Particularly, since each user can possibly work for
> more than one organization on the forge, as well as working as an
> individual programmer, organizations' statistics are calculated considering
> only those activities performed by its members on projects to which the
> organizatione is explicitely involved.
> We think these features are useful to allow users to have a deeper
> awareness of someone else's experience and interests, and this could also
> help in identifying partners for a certain project.

Sounds very nice

> These features are implemented as external features and can be easily
> enabled or disabled by setting boolean parameters in the .ini file.
> Therefore, it is possible to enable organizations only, without including
> the statistics features, or including statistics for users only, and so on.
> Of course, it is not possible to enable organization statistics without
> enabling the concept of organization on the forge.
>
> We would like to know what you think about these features, and we would
> like to know how we can provide you our code to get a feedback from you
> and, eventually, to discuss improvements and changes on it. Stefano is now
> allowed to write on the repositoy, but since I am not allowed to do so, and
> since these features should obviously be discussed before being included on
> the project, I don't know if working there, even on a new branch, is the
> best solution. Also, let us know if you prefer to check the two features
> separately or not. Probably, it would be easier to do it incrementally,
> considering one of them at a time.

Yes, I agree doing it incrementally would be easiest.  I don't know if it'd make
sense to break it down into more than 2 pieces, but that might make it even more
manageable.

Feel free to create a branch on the repository, that is just fine.  I'll also
start a separate email thread about how we want to handle new code, reviews, and
branching.

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.brondsema.net : personal