From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: Allura new features
Date Mon, 22 Oct 2012 20:22:45 GMT
Hi Stefano and Simone,

I've replied with some feedback on the merge request itself:
https://sourceforge.net/p/allura/git/merge-requests/7/#aa21  I hope that we can
get into a better rhythm and give you feedback more quickly in the future.

Regarding how to add skills, I think a flexible system is best, so that users
aren't restricted by slow admins who haven't added certain skills into the
system yet.  Maybe it could be completely freeform so that users can enter
whatever they want?  Of course, if that's the case, we wouldn't want an enormous
drop-down list of millions of items.  Maybe a "tagging" approach where the most
frequently used skills are at the top of the suggestion lists.

As another point of reference, the old classic SourceForge account pages
have/had a way for users to record their skills.  The choices were based on the
categories (aka "trove") used for categorizing projects.  Here's a tiny
screenshot: http://screencast.com/t/2srkALf5n1h  This could be cool since it'd
potentially let users and projects be matched together, e.g. within a Help
Wanted system.  This approach could work within Allura too.  The "TroveCategory"
model already exists and is used for project categorization.  Of course, this is
a completely different direction than my "tagging" suggestion, since it uses a
fixed list :)

-Dave

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net