From "Jesus M. Gonzalez-Barahona" <...@bitergia.com>
Subject Re: what goes in the core Allura repo (was Re: Presentation and Metrics work in Allura)
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2012 17:59:52 GMT
On Wed, 2012-10-31 at 17:08 +0100, Roberto Galoppini wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 4:48 PM, Cory Johns <johnsca@geek.net> wrote:
>
> > I know that licensing was a concern and motivation for splitting things
> > out, such as for the SCM tools which we're currently working on breaking
> > out of core.
> >

> As far as we talk about Bitergia Metrics tools Alvaro has been clear about
> their will to re-license them under the Apache license, while it's also
> true that there are some dependencies on GPLed code (Bicho and CVSAnaly, if
> I'm not wrong, both used as a batch process crunching reports, guess Alvaro
> and Jesus can add some light on this if needed).

Thanks, Roberto.

Indeed, to run Bitergia Metrics you need like four main components:

- (1) CVSAnalY, bicho and friends, which are a part of Metrics Grimoire,
https://github.com/metricsgrimoire Those are run on the repositories
(git, tickets, etc.) and produce a MySQL database.

- (2) Some R scripts that query the database, producing some JSON files
with the information to visualize.

- (3) Some code based on envision, flotr, jquery, etc. that is used to
visualize the JSON files.

- (4) The glue code to integrate the visualization with Allura

Certainly, there is no problem in releasing (4) under an Apache license,
or just integrating it with the rest of Allura under an Apache license,
as you may wish.

(1) should remain GPL, as they are now, we cannot easily relicense them.
But they are external in the same sense that git is with respect to
Allura. To have the plugin working, you need to have Metrics Grimoire
installed, like you need git installed, but that's all.

(2) only makes sense in the context of Metrics Grimoire, so probably it
doesn't make sense to use a different license. But if that's a problem,
we could also relicense (or dual-license) it for use with Allura.

(3) could certainly be licensed (or dual-licensed) under an Apache
license, except for potential incompatibilities with the JavaScript
libraries used (which probably is not the case, but we should check).

So, if the problem for the plugin to go with the Allura core is
licensing, we can probably sort it out. If the problem is more, say,
"technical", that's another issue. I'm not sure if this kind of plugin
should be considered a part of Allura or a complement to its core
functionality, which maybe is what we're talking about here...

Just my 2 cents,

	Jesus.